I have had this rather odd habit since I was in my late 20's. I'll explain.
In the evening (usually), if I am just sitting and watching TV or the like, I'll subconsciously roll one of my socks down (usually left, although the right has been known) so that my heel is exposed but the rest of the foot remains covered by rolled down sock. I have no control over it.
Either this, or I go all the way and I spend the whole evening with one sock on, one off, usually dictated by the time of year. It will come right off in the summer, and remain as aforementioned for other times, thus the majority of the year.
Anyway......... on the back of the 20km trail run I did yesterday, I had my usual slightly stiff calves so I wore my Saucony compression socks, which I must champion, as ordinarily they are great. I wore them to bed. Not only do they help the muscle soreness, they maintain nice warmth from the knee down now that the mercury has plummeted.
Last night I had the strangest of strange dreams. I was running a half-marathon somewhere which I imagine to be in the North-East of England. The accents heard in the dream were County Durham-esque and I was running along a shabby seaside promenade. Each time I passed a pub, a big pub-brawl would break out and spill out onto the course, and I found myself having to dodge people and their flailing fists, weaving and jumping as I went. There were occasions when people I knew from my past, friends or family, were involved in the brawl, so I had to try and step in to stop it, always conscious of the time slipping away as I was shooting for a PR. There must have been at least eight different fights block the way as I ran.
As I got to the final two kilometers of the race, which incidentally, saw me run up and down the aisles of Morrisons (a low-end supermarket chain, primarily in the north of England), I was still on for a good time, regardless of the sporadic mindless violence. Suddenly, my foot went numb. I lost all feeling in it. I started to panic, it really affected progress and I was reduced to dragging this malfunctioning limb behind me, like a war-wounded trying desperately to escape the line of fire. Everybody started overtaking me, literally everyone, and I was soon just in front of the sweepers. I fell to the ground, petrified, and clung to my dead foot.
And then I woke up.
Thank God, it was only a dream! That feeling of elation was short lived though, as a new wave of fear struck me. I tried to wiggle my toes but couldn't feel them! Oh Jesus! NO!! It can't be real.
I grasped my left foot and felt a big mound of sock around it. I had once again, even during my sleep, worked the compression sock down around my foot, but given it's lycra heavy composition, formed a tourniquet of noose like strength. I pulled the sock off completely, and all drunk with sleep, jumped up, but landed on the left foot first which just gave way, leaving me to fall against the bedroom wall. The loud bang woke Minju from her sleep and she shouted, "What's going on?"
"You wouldn't believe it." I answered, and left it at that.
No comments:
Post a Comment